Monday, January 24, 2011

Becoming a Tweacher?

After the presentation from John Finch about social media in the classroom my mind is now somewhat at ease about the use of this type of technology with my students. I have to admit that I am a bit skeptical about using social networking and other types of internet sites in the classroom because of privacy issues and the boundaries that can be crossed having students always looking at your profiles and such and Im sure I am not the only one who feels this way. I am glad though to see the different types of ideas put forth in class about ways to use social media effectively in the classroom.

Before the presentation I never thought that Twitter or Facebook could be a useful tool in the classroom. I know that we are in the digital age and times are changing which means social media in school is something that will become mainstream sooner rather than later. When I think techonology and interenet in the classroom I think of using blogs or wikis as a source of posting assignments and having students comment on different ideas presented in class. I also like the idea of using the social networks in the classroom as long as it is tasteful and appropriate. With Twitter teachers can post different questions and assignment details or have their students follow important figures in society like politicians and other social figures related to a social studies class. I also like the idea of using Facebook and having the students create a profile of an historic figure and edit all the details about their life.

I really enjoyed the group activity in which we all searched the Internet for different ways social media can be used in the classroom and I am happy that I now have so many ideas that I can incorporate into my lessons. I think that it is very important to try and incorporate the Internet into the classroom because of the way students interact these days. Adolescents are constantly on Facebook or Twitter or texting on their Blackberry or listening to music on their Ipods, if we can bring this stuff into a educational setting I think that students truly will enjoy it and will become more engaged in their learning. Learning should be more than dry boring textbooks and students will jump at the opportunity to use any type of technology without even realizing how much they are learning.

That's all for now.... and a shout out to a southwest Manitoba legend Ron Thompson, Easy does it!

No comments:

Post a Comment